Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stefan Sagmeister

The main aspect of the segment on Stefan Sagmeister that stood out to me was the album cover in which an intern carved hand-lettering into the skin of Stefan himself. This type of dedication to your work extremely admirable. To me, the usage of hand-lettering brings a humanistic feeling to the piece it is applied to. I think this goes well with album covers in which you want the listener to connect with the artist, and the album cover can help push someone to buy an album. I also agree when he mentioned if he gets a flyer with a small helvetica title and little logo on it, that he is actually turned away from wanting to read it, because it will bore him; I am the same way with flyers and advertisements, if they don't instantly get my attention, then I have no desire to read what they are advertising. I think this has more to do with taste rather than one design being more correct then the other. If the person who created that corporate flyer with the little logo on it saw a piece by David Carson, they would probably have no desire to read that either. However I think some of the pieces by Stefan Sagmeister are able to bridge this gap because on the one hand, they appeal to the so called "grunge" audience, but his work is so interesting and unique that I'm not sure anyone could ignore it.

No comments: