Wednesday, February 20, 2008

David Carson

What stuck out to me most about the segment on David Carson we just watched is when he said "Don't confuse legibility with communication." I have seen the rest of the film and there are generally two viewpoints: neatness, order and staying within the lines, and going by feel, if that means breaking the so called rules then that is what you do. Just because you create a design using Helvetica with clean lines and use a grid structure, doesnt' mean that it gets the point across; like David Carson said, it could be the wrong communication. It seems pointless to try and distinguish the "right" style of design, because each design needs to speak a certain message, and the product determines that message, not the designer. I am doing a research paper on Massimo Vignelli for another class, whose work I enjoy; but every time I see more of David Carson's work I kick myself for not choosing his work to write about; not just because of the way his art looks, but because of his mindset behind the creation of it.

No comments: